Well it was bound to happen sooner or later and it finally has occurred – call it a last-minute Christmas present from Skype. If you hop on over to iTunes or the App Store, there you will see that Skype has been updated to version 3.0 – a very large milestone, and has some important updates.
The major new feature for this update is the ability to have Skype Video Calls, allowing for one or two-way conversations over Wifi and 3G. This is a big step as Apple have allowed another app to use 3G technology for video conferences, similar to other apps already available but unlike their own FaceTime technology.
– Make Skype to Skype video calls on WiFi and 3G*
– Call Skype desktop users (Mac OS X or Windows) and other iPhone users.
– Two-way video calls supported on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen.
– Receive only video supported on iPad and iPod touch 3rd gen, with no camera.
– Make video calls in portrait and landscape.
– Skype video calling requires iOS 4.0 or above.
– iOS 4.0
– Two-way calls need iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen.