Jawbone’s new wristband – because that’s the new trend these days, wearable technology – called UP is now coming to Australia. Never heard of it? The UP is essentially a Fitbit, except you wear it on your wrist, tracking how you move, what you eat and how you sleep.
The wristband is made with a hypoallergenic, medical-grade rubber; and is shower and slash resistant. It has a battery life of ten days.
The UP has sensors that track how many steps you make, the distance and how many calories burned; and will vibrate gently if you have been inactive for too long. It also can track how you feel throughout the day – so you know whether your grumpiness is due to a lack of sleep or not. But most of the functions are done in conjunction with your phone with the app. For instance, take a picture of your food to create a visual journal, and see nutritional information by scanning the barcode.
The UP band comes in three sizes – small, medium and large – and will be on sale in Apple Stores and other retailers from April with a retail price of $149.99. The UP app is free on iOS and now on Android via the Google Play store.
Full PR is below:
UP™ BY JAWBONE® LAUNCHES IN AUSTRALIA, EXPANDS TO ANDROID™ PLATFORM
Jawbone’s Wristband & App System is an Innovative Tool for Better Daily Living
Australia, Sydney – Mar. 27, 2013 – Jawbone® today announced local availability and a new Android™ application for UP™, its revolutionary wristband and app system that helps you learn things about yourself and your lifestyle that you never knew. UP fits effortlessly into the way you live to help you understand how you sleep, move, eat and feel, and how those activities affect one another. It delivers useful and engaging information through a smartphone application that generates personalised insights to help you make meaning of the data and achieve your goals.
“We are excited to expand the UP community by introducing support for Android, 11 new languages for iOS, and product availability in more than 25 additional countries around the world,” said Travis Bogard, Jawbone vice president of product management and strategy. “Everyone wants to improve upon themselves; we’ve found this to be a fundamental human desire, no matter where a person is starting from or what they want to achieve. Today marks a big step toward our commitment to help people establish a basis for behaviour change by bringing UP to everyone who wants to live better lives.”
UP Gives You a Rich Picture of Yourself
UP utilises sensors in the wristband, the powerful phone in your pocket, and data in the cloud to deliver a narrative of your daily life:
· Sleep: UP employs a revolutionary sleep tracking system. Sophisticated motion-sensing technology tracks micro-movements of your wrist to deliver unprecedented detail including how long it took you to fall asleep, how much light vs. deep sleep you got, how long you were in bed and how many times you woke up during the night. By using the new Power Nap feature or setting the silent Smart Alarm, UP wakes you at the most optimal point in your sleep cycle so you wake up feeling refreshed and alert.
- Move: UP gives you comprehensive information about how you move throughout the day, including active vs. idle time, intensity of movement, total steps, distance, and calories burned. UP also vibrates gently to remind you to get up and move when you’ve been inactive for a specified amount of time.
- Eat: UP helps you understand more about your food choices. Simply take a photo of your food to create a visual journal, or go deeper by scanning a barcode or searching the database for more complete nutritional information.
- Mood: UP lets you keep track of how you feel throughout the day so you can correlate how your sleep, movement and eating affect your mood.
- Insights: UP analyses your data to deliver highly personalised insights. It reveals connections between different elements of your life, shows how you compare to others, and educates with new information that’s tailored for you. The more you use UP, the more powerful the insights will become.
UP is Designed for the Way You Live
UP is a sophisticated computer wrapped comfortably around your wrist and built to withstand everyday life. Encased in a smooth, hypoallergenic, medical-grade rubber, UP is shower- and splash-resistant so that you can wear it all day and night. With up to ten days of battery life you rarely have to take it off to charge.
“The UP band is powered by the patented MotionX® engine which encapsulates years of technology development and innovation on the biomechanics of natural human motion. The accuracy and power efficiency of MotionX has been critical in enabling UP to deliver a 24/7 product experience,” said Philippe Kahn, CEO and founder of Fullpower, developer of the MotionX technology.
The UP band comes in three sizes (Small, Medium, and Large) and eight colours (Onyx, Mint Green, Light Grey, Blue, Navy Blue, Red, Orange, Hunter Green), and is available beginning next month at Apple Stores and other retail locations in Australia. Visit Jawbone.com/retail-partners for the most up-to-date availability.
The Jawbone UP retails for AU$149.99.
The UP by Jawbone App for Android is available today as a free download on Google Play™. Jawbone’s iOS app, UP by Jawbone 2.4, is available today in 11 languages as a free download from the App Store. The UP wristband is required for the app.